|Jurist Baltasar Garzón|
|Donald Henry Rumsfeld, Defense|
George Walker Bush, U.S. President 43rd
Richard Bruce Cheney, Vice President
|Gang of Eight |
Wars of Terror
U.S. President 37th
J. Edgar Hoover
FBI Chief for life
U.S. President 44th
Illegal Drone attacks
Inside the United States, Americans must put aside ideology, partisan and other tribal politics and make a decisive effort to end the carnage and correct the character of impunity.If this does not happen, the global reign of violence and violation of
|International Criminal Court|
- Later in 1998, while visiting London, he was detained by British authorities after Spain requested his extradition in connection with the torture of Spanish citizens in Chile during his rule.
- The unprecedented case stirred worldwide controversy and galvanized human-rights organizations in Chile.
- The United States and other countries were prompted to release formerly classified documents concerning Chileans who had ‘disappeared’ — were kidnapped and presumably killed by the Pinochet regime.
- The disclosures brought to light details of Operation Colombo, in which more than 100 Chilean leftists had disappeared in 1975; and Operation Condor, in which several South American military governments coordinated their efforts to systematically eliminate opponents in the 1970s and 1980s.
- In January 2000, Pinochet was allowed to return home after a British court ruled that he was physically unfit to stand trial. Nevertheless, he continued to face investigations by Chilean authorities.
- Later in 2000, Pinochet was stripped of his immunity from prosecution—which he had enjoyed as a former president—and ordered to stand trial on charges of human-rights abuses (in Chile immunity is lifted on a case-by-case basis).
- In 2002, the charges were dropped, after Chile’s Supreme Court upheld a ruling that he was ‘mentally incapable’ of defending himself in court.
- Soon afterward Pinochet resigned his post as a senator-for-life.
- In 2005 he was again stripped of immunity and ordered to stand trial on charges stemming from Operation Colombo and on separate charges relating to tax evasion.
Bennett's books are available in New York State independent bookstores: Lift Bridge Bookshop: www.liftbridgebooks.com [Brockport, NY]; Sundance Books: http://www.sundancebooks.com/main.html [Geneseo, NY]; Mood Makers Books: www.moodmakersbooks.com [City of Rochester, NY]; Dog Ears Bookstore and Literary Arts Center: www.enlightenthedog.org/ [Buffalo, NY]; Burlingham Books – ‘Your Local Chapter’: http://burlinghambooks.com/ [Perry, NY 14530]; The Bookworm: http://www.eabookworm.com/ [East Aurora, NY] • See also: World Pulse: Global Issues through the eyes of Women: http://www.worldpulse.com/ http://www.worldpulse.com/pulsewire http://www.facebook.com/#!/bennetts2ndstudy